A current version may be downloaded here.
Ph.D., Philosophy, Emory University, 2014
M.A., Philosophy, Emory University, 2011
B.A. magna cum laude Philosophy and German, Creighton University, 2007
Areas of Specialization
Aesthetics, 19th and 20th Century Continental, Play, Ethics
Areas of Competence
History of Philosophy, Philosophy of Disability
Assistant Professor, Philosophy Department, Mount Mary University, 2017-
Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy, Siena College, 2014-2017
Refereed Journal Articles
- “The Play of Being and Nothing: World, Earth, and Cosmos in Eugen Fink” in Philosophy Today, Vol. 63., No. 1, 2019.
- Concepción, David W., Melinda Messineo, Sarah Wieten, and Catherine Homan, “The State of Teaching Training in Philosophy” in Teaching Philosophy, 2016. Online First: dx.doi.org/10.5840/teachphil201621942
- “The Play of Ethics in Eugen Fink,” The Journal of Speculative Philosophy, Vol. 27, No. 3 2013, 287-96.
- Eugen Fink, “Nietzsche’s Metaphysics of Play” in Philosophy Today, Vol. 63. No. 1, 2019.
- “Whoever Cannot Give, also Cannot Receive: Nietzsche’s Playful Spectator,” The Philosophy of Play, ed. Emily Ryall, Wendy Russell, and Malcolm MacLean (London: Routledge), 98-108, 2013.
Manuscripts in Preparation
- Poetry, Play, and Education
Articles in Preparation
- “Existence and Co-Existence: Eugen Fink on Recognition”
- “Hermeneutic Selves and Disability”
FELLOWSHIPS, GRANTS, AND AWARDS
- Cross-Cultural Solidarity Experience Grant for Philosophy of Art, Damietta Cross-Cultural Center, Siena College, Loudonville, NY, 2015.
- Curriculum Diversification Fellowship for Philosophy of Art, Diversity Action Committee, Siena College, Loudonville, NY, 2015.
- Andrew W. Mellon Graduate Teaching Fellowship to teach at Dillard University, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2013-14.
- Classroom Mini-Grant for Introduction to Philosophy of Art, Emory University Center for Faculty Development and Excellence, Atlanta, GA, 2012.
- Honorable Mention for “Best Submission by a Graduate Student” for the paper
- “The Play of Ethics in Eugen Fink”, Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy, Rochester, NY, 2012.
- Halle Foundation Fellowship for Research, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Halle Foundation, Atlanta, GA, 2011.
- Andrew W. Mellon Pre-Dissertation Research Fellowship, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Council for European Studies, New York, NY, 2011.
- Arts and Sciences Fellowship, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2008-2013.
- J. William Fulbright Scholarship, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany, 2007.
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD), Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany (declined), 2007.
- “‘After This, Nothing Happened’: Poetry, Ambiguity, and World-Formation.” Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy. State College, PA, October 18-20, 2018.
- “Play and the Creativity of Limits: Poetry and World-Formation.” Society for Philosophy of Creativity, American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Meeting. Savannah, GA, January 3-6, 2018.
- Panel Discussion: “How to Implement Teacher Training in Philosophy: Best Practices.” AAPT-APA Mini-Conference on Teaching Philosophy, American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Meeting. Baltimore, MD, January 4-7, 2017.
- “Poetic Education: Gadamer on Play, Ethics, and Conversation.” Ethics of Play Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, November 18-20, 2014. Siena College Department of Philosophy Colloquium Series, November 7, 2014.
- with Julia Haas. “Mentorship and Gender Equity in Undergraduate Philosophy Programs.” American Association of Philosophy Teachers Summer Meeting, Atlanta, GA, June 1, 2013.
- “The Play of Ethics in Eugen Fink.” Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy, Rochester, NY, November 1-3, 2012.
- “Preserving Play in ‘The Origin of the Work of Art’.” Annual Meeting of the Heidegger Circle, Atlanta, GA, May 4-6, 2012.
- “Narrative, Play, and Identity.” 19th International Conference of Europeanists, Boston, MA, March 22-24, 2012.
- “Preserving Play in ‘The Origin of the Work of Art’.” Participant’s Conference at the Collegium Phaenomenologicum, Cittá di Castello, Italy, July 16, 2011.
- “Nietzsche’s Playful Spectator.” Philosophy at Play Conference, University of Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England, April 9-11, 2011.
- “On the Relationship Between Play and Practical Reason.” Practical Wisdom Speaker Series, University of Wisconsin-Parkside. Kenosha, WI, November 17, 2017.
- Respondent to Robbie Kubala, “Fittingness and Value: A Two-Level Theory of (Some) Aesthetic Normativity.” American Philosophical Association Central Division Meeting, Chicago. February 21-24, 2018.
- Respondent to Summer Renault-Steele “Philosophy of the City: Reading the World Through Siegfried Kracauer’s Urban Sketches.” American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Meeting. Baltimore, MD, January 4-7, 2017.
- Respondent to Whitney Howell, “Discerning the Temporality of Perception and Habit: Phenomenological Insights into the Structure of Learning.” American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, December 27-30, 2014.
- Respondent to Shannon Vallor, “Perceptual Responsiveness as a Virtue: Notes for a Phenomenological Ethic.” American Philosophical Association Pacific Division Meeting, San Diego, CA, April 16-20, 2014.
Mount Mary University
- Philosophy of Play (Fall 2018)
- Philosophy of Art and Beauty (Summer 2018)
- Philosophy of Health (Spring 2018)
- Contemporary Issues in Ethics (Fall 2017)
- Search for Meaning (Fall 2017-Fall 2018)
Visiting Assistant Professor
- Early Modern Philosophy (Spring 2015, Spring 2017)
- Greek & Roman Philosophy (Fall 2016)
- Ethics (Spring 2016)
- Philosophy of Art (Fall 2015)
- Philosophy and the Human Being (Spring 2015-Spring 2017)
- Reason and Argument (Fall 2014)
- Logic (Fall 2014)
Mellon Graduate Teaching Fellow
- Feminism and Philosophy (Spring 2014)
- Critical Thinking (Fall 2013)
- Introduction to Ethics (Spring 2013)
- Introduction to Philosophy of Art (Fall 2012)
- Introduction to Logic (Spring 2011)
- Introduction to the Philosophy of Film (Fall 2010)
Co-Teacher (shared responsibilities for lectures and grading)
- Introduction to Philosophy (Spring 2010)
DEPARTMENTAL AND UNIVERSITY SERVICE
- Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee, Mount Mary University, 2018-
- Graduate Council, Mount Mary University, 2018
- Study Abroad Scholarship Committee, Mount Mary University, 2017-
- Faculty Co-advisor, Mount Mary University Philosophical Association, 2017-
- Negotiating Committee, Siena College Contingent Faculty Union 2015-2017
- Faculty Mentor, Philosophy Club, Siena College, 2014-2017
- Graduate Assistant, Center for Faculty Development and Excellence, Emory University, 2012-13
- Program Coordinator for the Society for Philosophy of Creativity Eastern Division, 2016-
- German: excellent reading comprehension, very good writing and speaking skills
- French: good reading skills
- American Philosophical Association
- Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy
- American Association of Philosophy Teachers