A current version may be downloaded here.
- Ph.D. in Philosophy, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2014.
- M.A. in Philosophy, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2011.
- Research and courses in Philosophy, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany, 2007-2008.
- B.A. magna cum laude in Philosophy and German, Creighton University, Omaha, NE 2003-2007.
- Study-Abroad Program, Universität Trier, Trier, Germany, 2006.
- Areas of Specialization: 20th Century Continental, especially Hermeneutics and Aesthetics
- Areas of Competence: History of Philosophy, Ethics, Logic
- Dissertation: What’s At Play in Ethics? This project seeks to understand ethical selfhood and ethical life in light of the work of Martin Heidegger, Eugen Fink, and Hans-Georg Gadamer. In particular, I seek to shed light on the relationship between play and ethics. I argue that not only does play help give rise to an ethical subject, as is evidenced in childhood development, but also that play best characterizes the superabundant and relational nature of ethical subjects and communities.
- Dissertation Committee: Rudolf Makkreel (director), John Lysaker, and Andrew Mitchell
Refereed Journal Articles
- “The Play of Being and Nothing: World, Earth, and Cosmos in Eugen Fink”, forthcoming
- Concepción, David W., Melinda Messineo, Sarah Wieten, and Catherine Homan,“The State of Teaching Training in Philosophy” in Teaching Philosophy, 2016. Online First: dx.doi.org/10.5840/teachphil201621942
- “The Play of Ethics in Eugen Fink,” The Journal of Speculative Philosophy, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2013, 287-96.
- “Whoever Cannot Give, also Cannot Receive: Nietzsche’s Playful Spectator,” The Philosophy of Play, ed. Emily Ryall, Wendy Russell, and Malcolm MacLean (London: Routledge, 2013), 98-108.
Articles in Preparation
- “Gadamer’s Rehabilitation of Taste”
- “Poetic Education: Gadamer on Play, Ethics, and Conversation”
- “Existence and Co-Existence: Eugen Fink on Recognition”
FELLOWSHIPS, GRANTS, AND AWARDS
- Curriculum Diversification Fellowship for Philosophy of Art, Diversity Action Committee, Siena College, Loudonville, NY, 2015.
- Cross-Cultural Solidarity Experience Grant for Philosophy of Art, Damietta Cross-Cultural Center, Siena College, Loudonville, NY, 2015.
- Andrew W. Mellon Graduate Teaching Fellowship to teach at Dillard University, Emory University, Atlanta, 2013-2014.
- Classroom Mini-Grant for Intro to Philosophy of Art, Center for Faculty Development and Excellence, Emory University, Fall 2012.
- Honorable Mention for “Best Submission by a Graduate Student” for the paper “The Play of Ethics in Eugen Fink”, Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy, 2012.
- Halle Foundation Fellowship for research, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Halle Foundation, Fall 2011.
- Council of European Studies Pre-Dissertation Research Fellowship, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Council for European Studies at Columbia University, Fall 2011.
- Arts and Sciences Fellowship, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2008-2013.
- J. William Fulbright Scholarship to conduct research during the 2007-2008 academic year at the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany, March 2007.
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) to conduct research during the 2007-2008 academic year at the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany, March 2007 (declined).
- Sophia Award for Outstanding Achievement as a Philosophy Major from the Department of Philosophy, Creighton University, 2007.
- Praxis Award for Leadership and Outstanding Service to the Philosophical Community from the Department of Philosophy, Creighton University, 2007.
- Department Award for Excellence in German from the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, Creighton University, 2007.
- Panel Discussion: “How to Implement Teacher Training in Philosophy: Best Practices.” AAPT-APA Mini-Conference on Teaching Philosophy, American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Meeting. Baltimore, MD, January 4-7, 2016.
- “Poetic Education: Gadamer on Play, Ethics, and Conversation.” Ethics of Play Conference, Prague, Czech Republic, November 18-20, 2014.
- with Julia S. Haas. “Mentorship and Gender Equity in Undergraduate Philosophy Programs.” American Association of Philosophy Teachers Summer Conference, Atlanta, June 1, 2013.
- “The Play of Ethics in Eugen Fink.” Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy, Rochester, November 2012.
- “Narrative, Play, and Identity.” 19th International Conference of Europeanists, Boston, MA, March 22-24, 2012.
- “Preserving Play in ‘The Origin of the Work of Art’,” Presented to: Heidegger Circle, Atlanta, May 2012; Participant’s Conference at the Collegium Phaenomenologicum, Cittá di Castello, July 2011.
- “Nietzsche’s Playful Spectator.” Philosophy at Play, University of Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, April 2011.
- Respondent to Summer Renault-Steele “Philosophy of the City: Reading the World Through Siegfried Kracauer’s Urban Sketches.” American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Meeting. Baltimore, MD, January 4-7, 2017.
- Respondent to Whitney Howell, “Discerning the Temporality of Perception and Habit: Phenomenological Insights into the Structure of Learning.” American Philosophical Association Eastern Division Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, December 27-30.
- Respondent to Shannon Vallor, “Perceptual Responsiveness as a Virtue: Notes for a Phenomenological Ethic.” American Philosophical Association Pacific Division, San Diego, April 16-20, 2014.
- “Protecting Our Most Vulnerable Populations: Narrative, Pragmatism, and Disability,” Emory Friday Philosophy Forum, Emory University, Atlanta, November 2010.
- “Practicing Craft, Crafting Practice,” Emory Friday Philosophy Forum, Emory University, Atlanta, April 2010.
Mount Mary University
- Philosophy of Health (Spring 2018)
- Search for Meaning(Fall 2017, Spring 2018)
- Contemporary Issues in Ethics (Fall 2017)
Visiting Assistant Professor
- Early Modern Philosophy (Spring 2015, Spring 2017)
- Ancient Greek and Roman Philosophy (Fall 2016)
- Ethics (Spring 2016)
- Philosophy and the Human Being (Spring 2015, Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2016, Spring 2017)
- Philosophy of Art (Fall 2015)
- Reason and Argument (Fall 2014)
- Logic (Fall 2014)
Graduate Teaching Fellow
- Feminism and Philosophy (Spring 2014)
- Critical Thinking (Fall 2013)
- Introduction to Ethics (Spring 2013)
- Introduction to Philosophy of Art (Fall 2012)
- Introduction to Logic (Spring 2011)
- Introduction to the Philosophy of Film (Fall 2010)
Co-Teacher (shared responsibilities for lectures and grading)
- Introduction to Philosophy (Spring 2010)
Teaching Assistant (shared responsibilities for grading)
- Introduction to Logic (Fall 2009)
LEADERSHIP AND SERVICE
- Faculty Co-advisor, Mount Mary Philosophical Association, Mount Mary University, 2017-
- Faculty Mentor, Philosophy Club, Siena College, 2014-17
- Graduate Assistant, Center for Faculty Development and Excellence, Emory University, 2012-2013.
- Graduate Student Representative to Emory Department of Philosophy Faculty, Spring 2013.
- Treasurer, Graduate Philosophy Society at Emory, 2009-10.
- Graduate Student Representative to Emory Department of Philosophy Faculty, Spring 2009-Fall 2010.
- American Philosophical Association, member
- Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy, member
- Heidegger Circle, member
- American Association of Philosophy Teachers, member
- German: excellent reading comprehension, very good writing and speaking skills
- French: good reading skills